Friday, April 26, 2013

Rattenschwänze!

I actually got motivated to test a potential menu item today! It is called rattenschwänze, and it is delicious.

Rattenschwänze is a pork dish from the Lower Saxon town called Hamelin. It was based on the old folk tale, the Pied Piper of Hamelin. I had to modify the recipe a bit based on what I had in the fridge, but the core of it was the same. It has a crazy, complex flavor with savory, spicy, lingering quality that made me ridiculously happy. It is a heavier dish that's probably better for winter, but I can lighten it a bit more for summer if I wanted to. Plus? So much booze included!

In the main meal alone, there are four different boozes utilized. And in the process of creation, I stumbled on a deeeeelicious idea! I used white wine to make my rice. So tasty. Soooo tasty. Gave the rice a nice twang that complemented the pork. My meal inadvertently became an ode to Julia Child. Cheers! I'll post my recipe vs the original on my Facebook page.





No comments:

Post a Comment