Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Birthday!

Hooray! I'm old!

Haha, not really. I mean, in industry standards, I'm getting there, but it hasn't scared me yet. And this year, I have a lot to celebrate!

First of all, though, I owe the entire catering industry's cooks a huuuuuge apology. I have spent years working on hot lines, making snarky commentary about how line cooks were clearly superior to caterers because we handled intense pressure and heat. However, I  recently began working with a specialty provisions catering company that provides locally sourced and organic meals for outdoors people visiting the local national parks. And frankly?

I LOVE it!!!!!

It is much easier to learn in a catering environment then it ever was on a hot line. The chef I'm working with is just as much of a food science nerd as I am, so I managed to learn more in my first shift than I have in the past 5 years, at least. And knowing I have time to make something correctly? Best feeling in the world. So, caterers, I am so sorry I haven't given you the respect you actually deserve. I'm totally eating well-seasoned crow right now.

Metaphorically, of course. In reality, I've spent my birthday in my favorite state- food coma! I bought a beautiful dry-aged, bone-in rib eye steak from my lovely neighborhood butcher, the Ventura Meat Co, specifically for today as well as a bottle of my favorite scotch. I had toyed with the idea of going to a steakhouse, but based on the recommendation of a friend, I hit the butcher instead. Soooo glad I did. Oh my god. A quick sear and rest and that steak just melted in my mouth like butter. I ate the whole pound of meat. Then gnawed on the bone (my dog was supremely envious). I have literally just spent the rest of my day in a partially-concious state, and that is with only one glass of scotch. I love it. Love it love it love it. And soon, my best gal in Ventura is taking me out for tequila and tacos on the beach. This is the best birthday I've had in years. I'm feeling a tradition coming on!!!

Celebrate pleasure, eat happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment