Monday, March 18, 2013

Hours and hours and hours...

For the hundredth time in months, I find myself unable to sleep. It's a bit of a side effect of my lifestyle that I need to re-acclimate to. At the moment, it's primarily my job that I'm re-adjusting to- when I was in retail, I had a sleep schedule closer resembling normal people. Then for a couple months after leaving retail, I was kept awake by financial stress. Now, I'm back to sleeping, kinda. When I work, I work evenings. I go in around four, and get out... Well, late. By all accounts, I should be sleeping like a baby after the asswhoopings I've been getting on weekends. Then my days off try to make me think I'm normal. Ha.

There's something else that's been keeping me up, though. J. This is new for me. I love talking to him, and I spend an inordinate amount of time doing so. Texts, phone calls, any scrap of time is precious to me. See, he and I have a long distance relationship on top of us both being in kitchens. When I was younger, I tried many long-distance relationships that failed miserably. I swore them off. Then I met J. When we met, I had no idea who he was. He was just a guy in a bar (how we met is a story for another day). What attracted me to him, and continues to do so, is the fact that he gave me his time. Still does. Time is expensive! If you break it down monetarily, like a server does, minutes add up to hundreds of dollars. Hell, even cell companies charge obscene amounts for minutes.

I learned early that time is valuable. As a kid growing up in a military family, time spent with friends was short. You don't take the friendships you manage to retain for granted. So, when J showed me he was willing to invest his time getting to know me, it was the most romantic gesture I had ever seen. He even actually picks up the phone and legitimately CALLS. That is waaaaay too rare these days. Especially with him owning a place, but also opening a second? He takes time to talk to me, even with a full plate.

So I take time to daydream. Will this work out long term? I have no idea. But he makes me happy enough to hope that it will. Never underestimate the impact 5, 10 minutes can make. Those few moments to you can mean hours to someone else.

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." ~Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving your blog! Looking forward to hearing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “We are all a little weird and life is a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”

    Dr. Seuss
    I enjoyed the read. Keep doing what makes you happy.
    JT(shout)

    ReplyDelete