Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Real Kitchen Nightmares

There is always a point in any job I take where I dream about being at work. All. The. Time. Usually, it is about the time when I start to despise my job. However, it is a biiit different when I'm working in restaurant kitchens. Any cook can relate to this- the ticket printer. The constant chatter as orders roll in brings on a whole new kind of madness, one that doesn't go away with a career change- I dreamt of those damn printers even when I was in retail. The constant clicking, the whine of the paper wheel- I hear it EVERYWHERE. And now I have a new sound to add to my mental torment- egg timers. Every time I think I hear one go off, I get this momentary mini heart attack as I panic that I may have over-cooked a delicate dish. It is now a permanent neurosis I will live with the rest of my life. It's weird to consider...

No comments:

Post a Comment