Monday, May 6, 2013

Party for Life!

It's probably a symptom of being in my mid-twenties, but I have been feeling restless. Again. It's getting aggravating, but I think I've finally figured out why.

Predominately, I am a bossy know-it-all that likes to throw parties. I get a rush from conceptualizing, planning, and executing events. I have thought, for the longest time, that I needed to stay in kitchens because that was all I thought I knew how to do. How refreshing to discover otherwise recently! I was recently hired as a manager of a VIP tent at a festival I have worked with for the past 3 years. Before, I worked with this festival as a pet project, something I enjoyed volunteering for and got a sense of accomplishment from every year. At my prior retail job, a large part of my position was also event coordination. For whatever reason, it is only just now occurring to me that maybe, just maybe, I should work in event planning. And, much to my surprise, my years in restaurants will actually be an asset. I called a respected events company here in Atlanta today to inquire about any job positions available. The woman I spoke with asked if I was looking for a particular position, and I mentioned I was looking at event planning- making sure to add I had spent 2-3 cumulative years with pertinent event experience, as well as 8-9 cumulative years of hospitality experience. At that, she perked up an asked me to e-mail her a resume.

I know that isn't a guarantee of anything. However, just the knowledge that I could be qualified, and actually have a new, more exciting opportunity on the horizon is a nice adrenaline boost! And even if I don't get into this company, there are many other smaller companies I could probably weasel into. Knowledge of options feels so freeing!

Don't get me wrong, I adore the restaurant industry and the camaraderie that goes along with kitchen work, but I have never wanted to spend years of my life in a physically taxing environment. And one day, I want to have kids- how could I possibly raise them while slaving on a hot line? I still want to own a bar, but I don't want to be the one doing the menial, mind-numbing prep tasks. Event coordination seems like it would be a more ideal situation. Can't hurt to try, at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment