Friday, August 22, 2014

Regrounded

I'm technically in the middle of my move. I no longer have an address, but I'm not quite headed to California just yet. I took a pit stop at Intervention, an internet convention in Rockville, MD (http://WWW.interventioncon.com). I've been going to this convention for years, unfortunately missing last year due to work. And holy shit, I needed this weekend! It was an honest intervention in every sense for me.

The stress over the past few weeks has rattled me more than I had realized. I have been a needy, clinging, desperate version of myself that I haven't been since high school. And then I came here, and it felt like home. I still have a pile of responsibilities I need to sort out, but being here? Seeing familiar faces, reminding myself of the person I grew into over the years- it's like I've refreshed as a person. I am not the depressed twit that left Atlanta with shame and tears. I am a stubborn, crass, sweet hellion with the best intentions and the some of the worst jokes. I am going to California to kick ass, make wine, and cook hard. I will be responsible and refuse to grow up. I'm a series of contradictions, and I am so happy I got reminded of that before I lost myself entirely.

I'm making a cocktail to celebrate the occasion. I'm probably going to make it with a sparkling sake base- clean, effervescent, and one of the first alcohols I figured out I enjoyed in Atlanta. Seems appropriate for a new beginning!

"Grounded in the Desert"
Served in a champagne flute

2 parts sparkling sake
1 part St George's Terroir Gin
Dash of angostura bitters
Topped with cranberry juice

No comments:

Post a Comment