Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Binge in the City Part One

I've been intending to post for the past week now, but I've been caught up in such a foodie fest it just made more sense to try to post something after the dust settled and I had time to sort through beer-soaked memories.

Since I decided to leave Atlanta, I created a bucket list of things that I wanted to do before I left the city. I posted it on Facebook, and my friends have all started helping me accomplish them. Coincidentally, I've been having the best time of my life lately!

First on the agenda, it is World Cup time of year again! I am a staunch Germany supporter (big surprise, right?) So I've been making time to watch all of their games. Last Monday, Germany had their first match against Portugal. I called my friends Anthony, Thomas, and Darrell, and we convened on a local Taco Mac (www.tacomac.com) with a vengeance! The beer was flowing, the wings were surprisingly mild (next time I'm getting a way hotter sauce), and Germany *decimated* Portugal 4-0. My friends tried getting me to stay out for the US-Ghana game, but I had other plans- my evening was commandeered by my other friend, Nathan, and the Atlanta Braves.

I have been to Braves games before, but I have never been able to remember the end of a game (a curious side effect of hanging out with alcohol distributors...). On my bucket list was the entry, "See a Braves game, and remember who won!". So, Nathan got the tickets, and away we went!

Surprisingly enough, every game I've ever been to has been Braves v Phillies, and this one was no exception. Hopefully, however, the Braves performed better in the games I don't remember; because holy crap did they phone it in for this one. This is the game that I learned that Turner Field essentially shuts down at 7pm and beer and coffee became totally unavailable. Thankfully, we did manage to snag a couple of H&F burgers before we realized what a tragedy gameplay was going to be.

H&F burgers are a " thing" here in ATL. The original was created by Holeman & Finch, one of Chef Linton Hopkins' restaurants. I've never had the pleasure of a classic Holeman & Finch burger, but with the H&F burger stand at Turner Field, I got to try an approximation. And it was deeeeelicious. Juicy, messy, and just a beautiful double stack of burger, onion, and cheese. Paired with a Sweetwater 420 and I was a happy camper!

Fast-forward to Friday. Item 2 knocked off of my bucket list was going to see more live music- Atlanta has some great local acts, and I haven't been able to make the time to see any of them. So I nabbed tickets to see a coworker's band, Greco (www.wearegreco.com), and planned on having a chill night at home prior to the show. However, got roped into watching another World Cup game prior to the show, and thanks to the Black Bear Tavern (www.blackbeartavern.net), got to try my very first Boot. They have secured my loyalty for this upcoming Germany-USA game just because of this Boot. <3

Had a blast afterwards at Greco's show, of course. They played at the Basement, a fun, grungy dive venue in East Atlanta, where I proceeded to drink far too much vodka soda and sadly had to dip out early. However, my weekend was really just beginning... (Continued in part 2!)

No comments:

Post a Comment