Sunday, June 1, 2014

When I was in high school, I used to hear about some classes requiring you to volunteer for some sort of charitable cause in order to graduate. I remember thinking about how lucky I was that I didn't. I was a pretty selfish kid back in the day, and in some respects, I still am. But back then, it was probably equal parts selfish and lazy. And the charities that people were volunteering with? I couldn't care less about.

Fast forward to now. I am an avid volunteer. I love giving my time to many of the different food - centric events around Atlanta, many of which do support excellent causes like Share our Strength. It's not the charity that gets me to do it, though. In many ways, I haven't changed a lot from the girl I used to be. However, the biggest difference between then and now is probably the fact that it is truly volunteering instead of compulsory free labor. I actually want to and get excited about getting together with a team of people that are genuinely happy to work to make something incredible happen.

I've been volunteering with the Atlanta Food and Wine Festival all this week. This is easily one of my favorite events, because I spend most of my time in Production- the part of the festival that makes things work. I help organize and accomplish tasks that help make the logistics of this event run like a machine. And this year? They let me start driving the golf carts!!!! (I've never driven a golf cart before, it's the little things, haha)

Even more fun are some of the connections I've made- I have spent a couple shifts helping in the kitchen,  where I've gotten to work with Shaun Doty, of Bantam and Biddy, and Tory McPhail of Commander's Palace- both super nice guys! And now I can't wait to make my first trip to New Orleans this year...!

I guess, to make a long story short, I still hate the idea of required volunteer work in schools. But at the same time, don't shut down the idea entirely- when you find something that you actually want to do, make the time. It may not have your usual perks, but it sure makes opportunities a lot easier to find!

No comments:

Post a Comment