Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Night on the V-Side

I adore meat. Pretty sure I have made that exceptionally clear, even having an entire post dedicated to it. However, I do try to keep an open mind. So when an old Improv friend of mine happened to be in town Friday night, and I happened to have the night off, I joined him and his pescatarian friends for dinner at a vegetarian Chinese restaurant.

I was a bit unsure going in, not going to lie. The menu looked just like any other Chinese food menu, down to the sweet-and-sour chicken and Mongolian beef, but there were side notes at the bottom of each page that specified that the "meats" were soy-based substitutes. We all started off with a couple of appetizers, some steamed dumplings and hot and sour soup. I enjoyed the soup, but the dumplings were stuffed with different purees that had a not-quite-pleasant runny texture. The flavor didn't suck, but it was a bit disappointing.

Entrees... well, I have never been so disappointed in tofu. And this was at a vegetarian-specific restaurant!  I never expected to say this, but I should have gone with one of the soy substitute "meat" dishes.  Those actually had a decent flavor to them. Overall, not someplace I would go to of my own accord, but if I had vegetarian friends, I'd humor them and tag along.

No comments:

Post a Comment