Monday, February 23, 2015

My Night to Remember

*February 20, 2015*

*5:42pm

There is something to be said for a "devil-may-care" attitude. It winds up creating experiences out of a generally lackluster Friday night. Which is why now, after 3.5hours of SoCal traffic and 3 cigarettes later, I am in Anaheim, California, about to attend a Culinary Institute of America alumni reception/unveiling of a new commercial kitchen. Or something like that. I'm certainly not a CIA alum, and I don't honestly know what's going on  at the moment, Chef Thomas Keller just tweeted about this last night and invited industry professionals in the LA area to attend. So I said screw it and showed up.
I look at this as either a great networking opportunity, or an inspiration for... Something. I've been exercising a lot of patience lately, and I need a little reminder that everything will work itself out. I had my interview for the James Beard Women in Culinary Leadership Grant on Wednesday, and won't hear back for another few days, so I'm really looking forward to this also being a great distraction for me.

6:30pm

Just met Thomas Keller. Night is fucking MADE*

February 23, 2015

That was such an amazing night for me. I am so happy I went! Now, it was awkward at first, as I was a solid 20 years younger (at least) than the majority of the attendees. But as the night went on, and the wine flowed, and Chef Keller introduced himself to me, I began to loosen up, and really take in the event. Turns out that, beyond being an alumni reception, it was also unveiling the new showroom for the Hestan commercial kitchen equipment. I have never been in a room so full of industry professionals who actually knew what the hell they were talking about. And the equipment itself? I was very impressed. Most commercial ovens I've worked with, you have to baby the door so it doesn't fall off after repeated use. The Hestan oven? I watched 3 adult men stand on the open door and use it as a temporary stage. That was freaking awesome.

It was a great night for inspiration. I left that night, rejuvenated and excited for where my career will go. I may be stuck in limbo right now, but I was able to take that night, and go crazy at the farmer's market the next morning. I've been making my mustard, pickles, salmon tartar... I'm happier. And the busier I keep myself, the less I'll panic about the grant! :D

http://www.hestancommercial.com

No comments:

Post a Comment