Friday, January 30, 2015

Sand and Tacos

"Variety is the spice of life".

One of the oldest clichés in the book. it's strange to think about, I've been in Southern California now for about... 3 weeks? I'm more comfortable now, however I'm still adjusting. I'm now working for my best friend's mom on a very temporary basis. However I feel like she wants me to work more full time. Well, both of them. I'm still not sure I want to make that commitment. I just got confirmation that my grant application was being considered, and part of me really wants to pursue that. However, I did tell V that I would be here as long as she needed me. It's just odd trying to strike a balance between what I think she needs and what I know I need.
I had something resembling a life up in Northern California. Now I have something resembling a life in Southern California. Both have their high points, I love the spaciousness and the quiet of Northern California. After 6 years in Atlanta, it was a refreshing, revitalizing break. Being back down in Ventura, after a less-than-admirable first visit, I really am loving this entire downtown beachy area. I love the laid-back atmosphere. And seeing as I'm only working a few days a week, I'm finding that I have a lot of time to myself. I'm not used to that.

It would be far easier to pursue culinary aspects up north. However it almost feels as though the South needs it more. Is that odd to say? After all, Los Angeles is one of the biggest food cities in the country. However when the surrounding "suburbs" are full of trash food like Taco Bell and Jack in the Box, what am I supposed to think? At least around Northern California, their better restaurants are still surrounded by really good produce and locally-conscious farmers.

I wish the right options were obvious. I'm really hoping they become so in the next few weeks. In the meantime... Beach tacos.

BEACH TACOS

Flour taco shells

Filling:
Fish fillets
1tsp cumin
Lime juice
Red pepper flakes
1tsp honey
Salt & Pepper
Torn cilantro
Coconut oil

Topping:
Shaved cabbage
Julienned zucchini
Julienned mango
Olive oil
Apple cider vinegar

Directions:
Filling:
Heat a small amount of coconut oil in a sautee pan. Sprinkle the seasonings over the fish filets, then sear them in the pan.
Topping:
Toss the cabbage, zucchini, and mango with splashes of olive oil and vinegar.
Assembly:
Really? It's a fucking taco. Figure it out and put it in your face-hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment