Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Small-Town State of Mind

I spent my formative years in a small town. And frankly? I fucking hated it. Maine winters, mosquito-ridden summers, stagnant grumpy old farts that had never seen the state border... it was my personal hell. And the second I could wrangle it? I took off running for Atlanta.  Which really makes my newfound adoration for Cloverdale, CA, really weird for me.

As far as small towns go, Cloverdale is on the medium-dinky side. The majority of the businesses can be found on Cloverdale Blvd, and they only have two coffee shops- Starbucks and a local place named Plank. I,  by virtue of little gas and less gas money, managed to get stuck here for the past 3 days after my internship.  And I can honestly say, despite my initial panic, this is easily the best thing that could have happened. My faith in strangers was renewed when an exceptionally kind barista took me in and let me crash at his place these past few nights. I was forced to take a break and stop "making it happen!", which I have been doing my whole life. I finally gave myself some closure on some past flings. It's been great. Instead of forcing my agenda on life, I let it have it's way with me for a few days, and I have never been so relaxed. It's even rubbing off on my dog! I have never seen Clooney so well-behaved as he has been here. He adores this place.

I really don't know where I will end up in the next week or so. I have a lot of opportunities opening up.  But honestly?  If I continue to be stuck here? I don't think I'd mind too much. Responsibly irresponsible has been a great state of being! And, dude- I got to play in the Russian River! How awesome is that??

No comments:

Post a Comment